and function of the eye, the sensation of sight, and the medical and surgical
treatment of its defects.
- Supported by the National Eye Institute. "Linking people
to clinical research studies on eye diseases and disorders"
including how to refer a patient to NEI
- Healthy Vision
- "For the first time, vision objectives have been
included in Healthy People 2010, a national disease
prevention initiative that identifies opportunities to
improve the health of all Americans."
- Vision Problems in the U.S. This report is from the
National Eye Institute and Prvent Blindness
Associations, and Agencies|
- American Academy of
- "Serves the educational and professional needs of the
- American Association for
Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- "Encourages quality eye care for children" "Promotes
basic research in children's eye diseases"
- ARVO The
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmolgoy
- The purposes is "to encourage and assist research ,
training, publication, and dissemination of knowledge in
viision and ophthalmology."
- ASCRS/ASOA - Who We Are
- This site lists two organizations: (1) American Society
of Cataract and Refractive Surgery - "To raise the standards
and skills of anterior segment surgeons" (2) Ameriican
Society of Ophthalmic Adminstrrators - "to improve, develop
and further advance the ophthalmic practice administrator"
- This site leads to three organizations: (1) Macula
Foundation, Inc.,- "supports basic and clinical research in
vitreous, retinal and macular diseases" (2) Association for
Macular Diseases - "helps people with macular diseases to
lead independent lives" (3) LuEsther T. Mertz Retinal
Research Center - "conducts numerous retinal research
- National Eye Institute of the
National Institutes of Health
- National Federation of the
- This organization is the "nation's largest and most
influential membership organization of blind persons." The
site contains a list of libraries that provide special
resources and a list of rehabilitation agencies.
- ORBIS: saving sight
- "ORBIS works in developing countries to save sight
through hands-on-training, public health education and
improved access to eye care. ORBIS operates the world's only
flying eye hospital -- a fully equipped teaching facility,
built inside a DC-10 aircreaft."
- The American
- Established in 1864. Original purpose still sustained
"the advancement of ophthalmic science and art."
- The International Eye
- Since 1961 the International Eye Foundation has worked
"to restore sight and prevent blindness in poor countries
around the world."