at various levels of preparation, of services that are essential to or helpful
in the promotion, maintenance, and restoration of health and well-being
or in the prevention of illness, as of infants, of the sick and injured,
or of others for any reason unable to provide such services for themselves.
Sometimes designated according to the age of the patients being cared (neonatal,
pediatric, geriatric ) or their particular health problem (gynecologic,
orthopedic, psychiatric, surgical) or the setting in which the services
are provided (school, office, occupational ).
- End-of-Life Physician
Education Resource Center (EPERC)
- The End-of-Life Physician Education Resource Center (EPERC)
is a central repository for educational materials and information
about end of life issues. EPERC is supported by the Robert Wood
Johnson Foundation and located at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Links to nursing organizations and career resources.
- Hardin MD Meta Directory
of Internet Health Sources
- Hardin MD is a comprehensive meta directory that provides access
to resource lists in medical and health-related subjects. It is
organized by disease and speciality.
- Collaborative effort of the Taubman Medical Library at the University
of Michigan and the HealthWeb project. This Guide provides links
to nursing health information, including career resources, clinical
resources, communication, education programs, organizations, and
- From Emory University Health Sciences Center Library.
Sites on the World Wide Web
- From University at Buffalo Health Sciences Library.
- Resources for Nurses
- Produced by Diane Wink, School of Nursing, University of Central
Florida, this comprehensive guide includes links to general and
specialty nursing sites and to resources on books and journals,
specific health conditions, nursing informatics, and funding opportunities.
- Yahoo: Health:
- Searchable by nursing-related categories or link directly to
the most popular nursing web sites.
- Gateway to associations, medical resources, employment, continuing
education, humor, pharmacy, student nursing, and more.
- American Cancer Society
- The American Cancer Society provides all types of information
on cancer including treatment, early detection, prevention, services
available to cancer patients and their families as well as a free
- This web site is geared toward the spiritual side of nursing.
Topics include nursing anecdotes and poetry, creeds, prayers,
humor and more.
for Evidence Based Nursing
- The Centre for Evidence Based Nursing (CEBN) in the Department
of Health Studies at the University of York is concerned with
furthering EBN through education, research and development.
- Death and Dying
- This Web site includes an excellent set of links to resources
for professionals who work with the bereaved or the dying. It
is hosted by a professional nurse.
- End-of-Life Nursing
Education Consortium (ELNEC) Project
- The End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) project
is a comprehensive, national education program to improve end-of-life
care by nurses, and is funded by a major grant from The Robert
Wood Johnson Foundation. Primary project goals are to develop
a core of expert nursing educators and to coordinate national
nursing education efforts in end-of-life care.
- National Cancer Institute
- The National Cancer Institute provides all types of information
related to cancer research, health information, rehabilitation
and much more.
- National Institute of Nursing
- The National Institute of Nursing Research is part of the National
Institutes of Health (NIH). The Institute supports clinical and
basic research aimed at establishing a scientific basis for patient
care and contains a list of research funding opportunities. Also
includes an excellent list of related links.
- Nurse Advocate: Nurses
& Workplace Violence
- This Web site focuses on the recognition and resolution of workplace
violence experienced by nurses.
- Includes links to online catalogs and products, a news and analysis
section, a career center, training information, and a resource
center. Also alerts registered users via email about new material
on the site.
- Features, job search, fee-based continuing education.
- Contains articles and columns written by experts, updates on
the latest in nursing and healthcare innovations, free continuing
education contact hours, and links to other useful Web sites.
Plus get information on fitness, exercise, nutrition, and discounted
services and products important to nurses.
- Produced by the College of Nursing at Valdosta State University
- This Web portal for nurses contains cover-to-cover content from
over 20 top nursing journals, an up-to-date online continuing
education (CE) collection, a career center, nursing community
forums, a market place to shop for professional and personal purchases,
and much more.
- Seeks to provide a dynamic platform for sharing personal experience,
practical care education, health advocacy, understanding, idea
sharing and knowledge building among and between nurses.
- Features include mentoring program, interactive discussions
(nurse practitioners, emergency nursing, employment), and information
for specialty and student nurses.
- The official web site of the American Nurses Association.
- Palliative Care:
One Vision. One Voice.
- Here nurses may share information with other professionals about
initiatives and projects related to improving patient care at
the end of life. Included are links to conferences, education,
employment, initiatives, a media guide, organizations, publications,
research, and resources.
- Quackwatch: Your Guide to
Health Fraud, Quackery, and Intelligent Decisions
- Quackwatch is a nonprofit corporation whose goal is to make
the public aware of health-related frauds, myths, and fads.
- Careplans, Chat, Library Links, NurseLibs, and Tip o' the Day.
- Includes articles and resources from RN, legal questions and
answers, a management help line, earnings survey, drug center
- which features the PDR Nurses' Handbook drug database - and
- StopPain.org at Beth Israel
- This Web site is maintained by the Department of Pain Medicine
and Palliative Care at Beth Israel Medical Center and includes
authoritative information on palliative care and pain medicine.
- The Joanna Briggs Institute
for Evidence Based Nursing & Midwifery
- The Joanna Briggs Institute for Evidence Based Nursing &
Midwifery is an International Research Collaboration based at
the Royal Adelaide Hospital and the Adelaide University with collaborating
centres in Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. This web site
provides nurses and other health care professionals with free
access to all of the publicly released Best Practice Information
Sheets, Research Protocols, a regularly updated notice board,
a research area to post current research information and a links
page to other useful nursing web sites.
Nursing Theory Page
- A collaborative international effort devoted to providing information
about nursing theories.
- Weird Nursing Tales
- Unusual nursing stories.
|Consumer Health Information
Information for Patients
- Produced by the American Medical Association, AMA Information
for Patients contains information on specific conditions, healthy
families, and general health. It also includes a doctor finder
and hospital finder.
- Healthfinder is a gateway to reliable consumer health and human
services information developed by the U.S. Department of Health
and Human Services. Healthfinder leads to selected online publications,
clearinghouses, databases, web sites, support and self-help groups,
as well as the government agencies and not-for-profit organizations
that produce reliable information for the public.
- Mayo Clinic Health Oasis
- A team of 1200 Mayo physicians, scientists, writers and educators
directs Mayo Clinic Health Oasis. It is updated daily and provides
information on a wide variety of medical topics. Mayo Clinic Health
Oasis contains information on how to treat common and not-so-common
illnesses, as well as information on disease prevention.
- MEDLINEplus is a health-related Web gateway produced by the
National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
MEDLINEplus is for anyone with a medical question. This gateway
provides access to extensive information about specific diseases
and conditions and also has links to consumer health information
from the National Institutes of Health, dictionaries, lists of
hospitals and physicians, health information in Spanish and other
languages, and clinical trials. MEDLINEplus contains pages that
link to the full-text publications produced by the NIH Institutes,
other federal government organizations such as the CDC, and other
web sites including associations.
- NOAH: New York Online Access
- Provides high quality full-text health information for consumers
that is accurate, timely, relevant and unbiased. NOAH currently
supports English and Spanish.
- University of Pennsylvania cancer specilists founded OncoLink
in 1994 with a mission to help cancer patients, health care professionals
and the general public get accurate cancer-related information.
OncoLink provides comprehensive information about specific types
of cancer, cancer treatments and news about research advances.
The information is updated daily.
- The National Women's Health
- The National Women's Health Information Center is a service
of the Office on Women's Health in the Department of Health and
Human Services. It provides a gateway to the vast array of Federal
and other women's health information resources.
- WebMD contains information on diseases and conditions, drugs
and herbs, self-care, clinical trials, health and wellness, and
- CRISP (Computer Retrieval
of Information on Scientific Projects)
- CRISP is a searchable database containing information on federally
funded biomedical research projects and programs supported by
the Department of Health and Human Services.
- FDA Center for Drug Evaluation
- This web site contains a wealth of information on prescription
and over-the-counter drugs, including drug information for professionals
and consumers, new prescription drug approvals, drug safety and
side effects, clinical trials information, public health alerts
and warning letters, reports and publications, and the latest
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- Sponsored by the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
(AHCPR) in partnership with the American Medical Association and
the American Association of Health Plans, this resource makes
available up-to-date evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
Department of Health Statistics
- This site contains numerous Pennsylvania health statistics including
vital statistics, county health profiles, cancer incidence and
mortality, nursing home and hospital directories, county health
status indicators, behavioral health risks of Pennsylvania adults,
injury deaths and more.
- The Merck Manual -
- This publication is based on The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and
Therapy. It provides information about diseases, diagnosis, prevention,
and treatment in an easy-to-understand format. The Merck Manual
- Home Edition is now available in two versions: the original
Text Edition and the interactive version, enhanced with photos,
animations, videos, pronunciations, illustrations, and a comprehensive
- The Merck Manual
of Diagnosis and Therapy
- The 17th edition of this classic resource provides general medical
information for health professionals.
- The Merck Manual
- Provides information of clinical relevance on geriatric care
including internal medicine, pharmacology, dermatology, rehabilitation
medicine, and psychiatry.
- UNOS (United Netword for Organ
- UNOS is a non-profit organization that oversees the United States
Organ Procurement and Transplant Network. This resource contains
all types of transplant-related statistics and news.
Nursing Resources: Journals and Newsletters
- Journals that provide full-text articles online free of charge.
- Searchable version of Nursing Spectrum.
- Nursing Times
- Nursing Times on the net.
- Searchable versions of AJN and 20 other journals from
January, 1996 on. Includes tables of contents and many abstracts,
plus fee-based full text articles.
- OJNI: On-line Journal
of Nursing Informatics
- Contains peer-reviewed, original, high quality, scientific papers,
review articles, practice-based articles, and databases related
to nursing informatics.
- Online Journal of Issues in
- Peer-reviewed publication that "provides a forum for discussion
of pertinent issues in nursing".
- The Online
Journal of Knowledge Synthesis for Nursing
- The OJKSN is a peer-reviewed online journal dedicated to the
scientific advancement of evidence-based practice (EBP) in health
care. OJKSN presents current scientific evidence to inform clinical
decisions and ongoing discussions on issues, methods, clinical
practice, and teaching strategies for EBP.
- Contains links to various nursing journals.
|Teaching and Learning
Bones" Search Engines Tutorial
- "Bare Bones" is an excellent search engines tutorial for the
novice searcher. It was written by Ellen Chamberlain, Head Librarian
and Professor, Beaufort Library, University of South Carolina.
This tutorial offers a simple, step-by-step approach to using
for Disease Control and Prevention: Continuing Education Activity
- Contains continuing education activities that are available
for Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) credit. Includes course
details, exam registration, and links to the corresponding MMWR
Reference Formats Recommended by the American Psychological Association
- Provides guidelines for applying the APA style to email communications,
Web sites, and electronic databases.
- Gray's Anatomy of the
- Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body features 1,247 vibrant engravings,
many in color, from the classic 1918 publication as well as a
subject index with 13,000 entries ranging from the Antrum of Highmore
to the Zonule of Zinn.
"Virtual" Nursing Center, Martindale's Health Science Guide -
- Nursing multimedia education resource center.
- Virtual Nursing College
- Collection of resources oriented toward education and professional
development of nurses.