of Currently Funded Research Grants Pertaining to Suicidal
- Research funded by the National Institute of Mental
Health as of April 2002.
of Suicidal Behaviors and Risk among Children and
- Published in August of 2000, this is a 202 page PDF
document evaluating assessment instruments in use or
published since 1989.
- How I Stayed
Alive While My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me
- Site related to the book of the same name, containing
sample exercises, internet links, and workshop plans for
Institute of Mental Health Suicide Research Program 2002
- PDF document containing abstracts of all research
currently funded by NIMH related to suicide and suicidal
Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- Jointly sponsored by SAMHSA, CDC, NIH, and HSRA, this
site features state, federal, and private initiatives, data
collections, and funding resources.
and Prevention of Adolescent and Adult Suicide
- This Institute of Medicine project provides full text
access to several reports and meeting notes online.
Suicide: A National Imperative
- Online full text book from the Institute of Medicine.
516 pages, 2002.
on Suicide: Recommendations for the Media
- Information on reporting on suicide while lessening the
potential for contributing to other suicide attempts from
the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
Bibliography on Suicide Research -1999
- Compiled by the National Institute of Mental Health, it
contains references to published research from 1999 and
in the United States
- A fact sheet on the demographics of suicide in the US,
along with some recommended resources on suicide prevention.
- Suicide Information and
- "The Suicide Information & Education Centre (SIEC)
is a special library and resource centre providing
information on suicide and suicidal behaviour. The Suicide
Prevention Training Programs (SPTP) provide caregiver
training in suicide intervention, awareness, bereavement,
crisis management and related topics."
- Links to reports related to suicide, including topics
such as the influence of the media on suicide, and suicide
prevention resources specific to youth and the aged.
Surgeon General's Call To Action To Prevent Suicide,
- A report with recommended steps for the prevention of
suicide, and information on suicide in various populations,
such as the elderly, the young, and special populations.
as Survivors of Suicide
- information for therapists to aid in dealing with
patient suicides, and first person accounts from therapists.
- University of Oxford
: Centre for Suicide Research
- Presents research, statistics, publications of the
Centre, and links to other resources
Report on Violence and Health
- "The World report on violence and health is the first
comprehensive review of the problem of violence at a global
level. It focuses not only on the scale of the problem, but
also covers issues related to the causes of violence and the
methods for preventing violence and reducing its adverse
health and social consequences." Covers many types of
violence, including outwardly directed violence by
individuals or groups, and suicide. From the World Health
Organzation, published in 2002.