and control of disease and disability, and the promotion of physical and
mental health of the population on the international, national, state, or
- Food and Nutrition
Information Center (FNIC)
- FNIC is a part of the National Agriculture Library and
provides resources and databases about food and nutrition.
- Center for Food
Safety & Applied Nutrition
- A regulation agency of the Food and Drug Administration.
& Population Studies
- This site keeps track of "leading information facilities
of value and/or significance to researchers in the field of
- Harvard School of Public Health: "exchange of
perspectives on gender, rights and reproductive ealth
- News of upcoming meetings, educational opportunities and
events from APHA's newsletter "The Nation's Health".
- Public Health Image Library
- A searchable index of images of people, organisms,
objects, and places related to the field of public health
developed by the CDC.
of the Surgeon General
- The Reports of the Surgeon General contains official
reports, conference and workshop reports, and proceedings
from the Office of the Surgeon General.
Epidemiology, the Internet and Global Health
- A series of public health lectures designed to provide
an overview on epidemiology and the Internet for medical and
health related students around the world.
Future of Public Health (1988)
- This seminal guidance document published by the
Institute of Medicine in 1988 evaluates the challenges faced
by the field of public health at that time and presents
strategies for reform and advancement of the field.
- The Future
of the Public's Health in the 21st Century (2002)
- This Institute of Medicine report follows up on the
progress made since the publication of "The Future of Public
Health" in 1988 and outlines areas where improvement is
still needed and trends which are likely to affect the field
of Public Health.
- The Grey
- A resource from the New York Academy of Medicine with
information about and bibliographies of public
health-related grey literature, which includes
"non-conventional, fugitive, and sometimes ephemeral
- A searchable database of continuing education
opportunities in the field of public health.
- Who Will
Keep the Public Healthy? Educating Public Health
Professionals for the 21st Century (2002)
- This Institute of Medicine report provides a framework
for how education, training and research in schools of
public health can be developed to meet the needs of future
public health professionals and further the goal of
improving the health of the population.
Associations, and Agencies|
- American Public Health
- "The oldest and largest organization of public health
professionals in the world, representing more than 50,000
members from over 50 occupations of public health."
- Association of Schools of Public
- A national organization representing the deans, faculty
and students of the accredited member schools of public
- Institute of Medicine
- "The Institute provides objective, timely, authoritative
information and advice concerning health and science policy
to government, the corporate sector, the professions and the
- National Center
for Health Statistics (NCHS)
- NCHS is a health statistics agency that is a part of is
a part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Public Health Foundation
- A national, non-profit organization dedicated to
achieving healthy communities through research, training,
and technical assistance.
- World Health Organization
- The United Nations specialized agency for health,
includes health topics pages, WHO publications and a
directory of specialized WHO Internet sites.
- an international index to African health literature and
information sources developed by the Association for Health
Information and Libraries in Africa (AHILA) with the
technical support of the World Health Organization
- African Journals Online
- A database which includes over 70 African journals in
the health sciences, agriculture, social sciences and
- CDC Wonder
- A database that provides access to a wide variety of CDC
reports, guidelines, and numeric public health data.
- The Combined Health Information Database or CHID is a
bibliographic database that provides titles, abstracts, and
availabile information for health information and health
- EnviroText is an on-line searchable library that
provides you with easy access to environmental laws,
regulations, and guidance as well as Native American
Treaties and Constitutions.
- This database maps the populations of many countries
around the world.
- HazDat, is the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
Registry's Hazardous Substance Release/Health Effects
Database. The database was developed to provide access to
information on the emergency events the health of human
- LILACS - Latin
American and Caribbean Literature on Health Sciences
- A database that indexes more than 650 health-related
journals, books, proceedings and other resources from Latin
American and Caribbean countries.
Safety Data Sheets
- A searchable database of ~ 250,000 MSDS files.
- A searchable table of contents of 29 CFR - Standards
- The Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER)
Program of the National Cancer Institute a source of
information on cancer incidence and survival in the United
- TOXNET Toxicology Data
- TOXNET, at the National Library of Medicine, is a group
of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related