the art and science of prescribing and dispensing medications and the provision
of drug and related information to the public. It involves the interpretation
of prescription orders; the compounding, labeling and dispensing of drugs
and devices; drug product selection and drug utilization reviews; the responsibility
for patient monitoring and intervention and the provision of cognitive services.
Pharmacy should be conceived basically as a knowledge system which renders
a health service by concerning itself with understanding drugs and their
effects. Remington: The Science and Practice of Pharmacy, 19th edition,
1995. p. 3.
Pharmacology: knowledge of the history, source, physical
and chemical properties, compounding, biochemical and physiological effects,
mechanisms of action, absorption, distribution, biotransformation and excretion,
and therapeutic and other uses of drugs. For the clinician and student of
the health sciences, the scope of pharmacology is primarily in drugs that
are useful in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of human disease.
- Drug InfoNet
- Links related to healthcare and pharmaceutical-related
topics for consumers and healthare professionals
Information & Pharmacy
- Hardin MD, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences,
University of Iowa
- Registration is required to access some features of this
site, but not all. Full text access is available to a small
selection of journals. Access to clinical trials
information, recent PDR addendas, FDA approvals, drug
alerts, and more.
- This site has medical and pharmaceutical abbreviations
and acronyms. There is a link to drug company names and
addresses, and to pharmaceuticals. Membership is required to
access some of this site's features.
- A compilation of sites related to pharmacology organized
by Hardin MD, the Hardin Library for the Health Scienes,
University of Iowa.
"Virtual" Pharmacy Center
- Martindale's Health Science Guide: pharmacy schools,
pharmacy courses, tutorials & lectures, drug databases,
images & animations and education resources.
Official World List of Pharmacy Schools
- Web directory of Schools of Pharmacy throughout the
world made available by yhe Academic Section of the
International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP)
- Virtual Library Pharmacy
- Links to some useful sites, such as pharmaceutial
companies, associations, job postings and pharmacy schools
on the Web.
- Yahoo: Health:
- A list of international pharmacopoeias available under
the auspices of the World Health Organization, though not an
official publication of WHO.
Clinical Trials Listing Service
- Search for clinical trials, information about physicians
and medical centers performing clinical research, and drug
therapies newly approved by the Food and Drug Administration
- Over forty individual chapters covering pharmacotherapy
of various psychiatric conditions from the College of
Pharmacy, University of Iowa.
- The full text of the Controlled Substances Act preceded
by a concise introduction. Caveat: the CSA is a very long
- Cytochrome P450
Drug Interaction Table
- A list of drugs that are metabolized by a specific
cytochrome P450 isoform and the inhibitors, inducers and
genetic influences on that isoform. Links to PubMed and
citations are included.
- This list describes the basic or parent chemical of
controlled substances: Schedules I-V.
- Drugs of
- Published by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration,
this site has monographs on specific drugs of abuse:
marijuana, cocaine, heroin, inhalants and more. There is a
link to a monograph on "Drug Traffiking in the U.S."
- Essential Drugs and
Medicines Policy (EDM)
- This site details the World Health Organization's
mission in EDM policy to "ensure equitable availability and
affordability of essential drugs" throughout the world, with
a link to the WHO MODEL LIST of ESSENTIAL MEDICINES.
Diagnostic Kits Homepage
- Includes blood pressure monitors, colorectal cancer,
glucose monitoring, ovulation prediction, and pregnancy home
Association of Boards of Pharmacy
- NAPB is the professional association that represents the
State Boards of Pharmacy in the 50 United States, the
District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands,
New Zealand, and parts of Canada and New Zealand.
- Pharmacokinetic and
- "The purpose of this page is to provide links to
information about the discipline of Pharmacokinetics and
- Compiled by Dr. Robert Hsiung from the Interpsych email
discussion list and other sources
- Psychopharmacology, The
Fourth Generation of Progress. On-Line Edition
- An authoritative text on preclinical and clinical
psychopharmacology presented full text online by the
American College of Neuropsychopharmacology.
Accessing Pharmaceutical Patient Assistance Programs
- provides health care providers with information on
accessing pharmaceutical manufacturers' patient assistance
programs by company name, drug name [brand and generic] and
drug therapy class with online application forms
- RxList - The Internet Drug
- South African
Electronic Package Inserts
- "The purpose of this site is to make the package inserts
for South African medicines available to the public in
- The NIH Guide to
- The Top 200
- Information for the public on medications used for
mental health indications, provided by the National
Institute of Mental Health.
- "This booklet is designed to help mental health patients
and their families understand how and why medications can be
used as part of the treatment of mental health problems."
Available in html and pdf format. 40 pages, last updated
- PDR's Getting Well
- PDR's Getting Well Network provides information on many
health issues and medical conditions.
Newsletters and Journals|
Journal of Health-System Pharmacy/ AJHP
- A semi-monthly peer reviewed journal. The full-text
edition opens from computers connected to the University of
Pittsburgh or the UPMC networks.
- F-D-C Reports
- "F-D-C Reportsí Washington-based editorial team report
on the latest regulatory, legislative and business news
affecting the U.S. drug, biotechnology, device and cosmetics
industries." : includes "The Pink Sheet" - Prescription
Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology Pharmaceutical Approvals
Monthly "The Gold Sheet" - Quality Control Reports "The
Green Sheet" - Weekly Pharmacy Reports The NDA Pipeline "The
Tan Sheet" - Nonprescription Pharmaceuticals &
Nutritionals "The Blue Sheet" - Health Policy &
Biomedical Research "The Gray Sheet" - Medical Devices,
Diagnostics & Instrumentation "The Silver Sheet" -
Quality Control and Design Issues in the Medical Device
Industry "The Rose Sheet" - Toiletries, Fragrances &
- " monthly clinical journal for members of Pharmacy and
Therapeutic (P & T) Committees (and other drug decision
makers) at hospitals, health maintenance organizations, and
other managed care settings. We publish peer- reviewed
clinical articles plus drug-related clinical news,
drug-related regulatory news, meeting reports, formulary
trends, and clinical experience briefs." Not intended for
use by the consumer or patient.
Pharmacotherapy - A Monthly Review for Health Care
- Children's Medical Center, University of Virginia -
Newsletter that provides a brief, referenced, peer-reviewed
source of continuing medication information specifically
related to children and focuses on the initiation and
monitoring of medications in the primary care setting.
- Each issue of this bi-monthly publication addresses an
identified problematic therapeutic issue with "brief,
simple, practical messages" in the form of evidence-based
Herbal Drug Studies
- A power point presentation on the scientific evaluation
of phytomedicines. Herbal drug properties, pharmacological
evaluation and study design are outlined.
- Street Drugs
- Some sections of the print version of "Street Drugs:Drug
Identification Guide" are available from this site. There
are descriptions of illegal drugs, some with accompanying
photographs. The book can be ordered from this