Civilian Medical Response to Chemical or Biological
Terrorist Incidents Interim Report on Current Capabilities
- Full text of this 103 page report from the National
Academies Commission on Life Sciences.
will pay for the adverse events resulting from smallpox
vaccination? Liability and compensation issues.
- From the National Health Policy Forum publication NHPF
Issue Brief(788):1-15, 2003 March 12. "This paper summarizes
liability and compensation concerns surrounding the smallpox
vaccination program announced by President Bush on December
Offers Advice on Communicating with Children about
- Links to American Academy of Pediatrics resources for
Technology to Counter Biological Terrorism
- Overview of a presentation at the International
Conference on Threats in the Technological Age, March 18,
of Emergency Medicine : Disaster Medicine/Emergency
- Journal article abstracts from 1994 to 2001on these
topics are provided free of charge. Selected articles are
available full-text to the general public. For University of
Pittsburgh/UPMC Health System full text access to the
articles supplied as abstracts only, OVID currently supplies
1996-present, MDConsult 1995-present, and IDEAL 2000-2001.
- Slide lecture on anthrax in humans and animals
illustrated with photos of skin infections, presented as
part of Supercouse : Epidemiology, the Internet, and Global
- Attack on America : CISM
- Features many articles on psychological aspects of
terrorism originally published in International Journal of
Emergency Mental Health. Provided by the International
Critical Incident Stress Foundation, Inc.
: Homeland Defense Symposium :The Next Steps
- Proceedings of a February 2000 conference hosted by RAND
that contains information on some medical aspects of
preparing for possible bioterrorism.
Agent Fact Sheets
- collected by the Association for Professionals in
Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. from a variety of
other agencies, these sheets are in Microsoft Word format.
and Emergency Preparedness
- Planning documents for hospital response to possible
bioterrorism events prepared by Stanford University Medical
Readiness Plan : A Template for Healthcare Facilities
- the full text of this publication from APIC, the
Association for Professionals in Infection Control and
Epidemiology in a downloadable zipped Microsoft Word format
- Printable wall chart for use by physicians and first
responders developed by the North Carolina Statewide Program
for Infection Control and Epidemiology (SPICE) at the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- CDC : Select
- "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is
required to regulate the possession of biological agents and
toxins that have the potential to pose a severe threat to
public health and safety. CDC's Select Agent Program
oversees these activities." Site includes links to relevant
entries in the Federal Register and Code of Federal
Regulations, as well as applications needed by laboratories
handling the regulated agents.
and Biological Terrorism : Research and Development to
Improve Civilian Medical Response
- Published by the National Research Council in 1999, full
text available online, 304 pages. "Chemical and Biological
Terrorism identifies the R&D efforts needed to implement
recommendations in key areas: pre-incident intelligence,
detection and identification of chemical and biological
agents, protective clothing and equipment, early recognition
that a population has been covertly exposed to a pathogen,
mass casualty decontamination and triage, use of vaccines
and pharmaceuticals, and the psychological effects of
- Overview of chemicals by class, with links to a variety
of in-depth resources from the National Library of Medicine
such as Toxline, ChemIDplus, and others.
Counseling Guide to Children and Families in Disasters
- A lengthy outline from the New York State Office of
Mental Health covering this topic for both professionals and
the public. Sample school disaster plan, designing service
programs, and an extensive bibliography are included.
Anthrax and its Mimics
- Descriptions and photographs of various skin lesions
similar to cutaneous anthrax, and differential diagnostic
information. Provided by the American College of Physicians.
- Diagnostic Testing in Human
Disease for Healthcare Professionals : Anthrax
- Comprehensive testing information from the University
Pathology Consortium, LLC.
- Resources for professionals and the general public from
the Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS). Includes
publications, web links, where to get services, and other
- Disaster Mental
Health : Dealing with the Aftereffects of Terrorism
- A large list of resources from the National Center for
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for the public and
Mental Health Services: A Guidebook for Clinicians and
- Full text available online of this publication from The
National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Provides access to full text journal articles and
resources primarily for psychiatrists from the American
Relief and Crisis Counseling : Psychosocial Issues for
Children and Adolescents in Disasters
- Previously published as Manual for Child Health Workers
in Major Disasters (1981), this is the full text of the
Preparedness and Response to Bioterrorism
- The FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research provides
information on drugs and vaccines used against potential
Information on Bioterrorism
- provides access to multiple articles from the scientific
and popular press, organized by topic. From the UCLA
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health
& Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases : Chapter
18 : Smallpox
- From the CDC, also known as the "Pink Book"
& Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases : Chapter
- From the CDC, also know as the "Pink Book."
the Unexpected: Disaster Preparedness and Response in the
United States (2001)
- Full text of this 318 page book is available online.
in the Lab: Automation in the Fight Against Infectious
Diseases and Bioterrorism
- Full text of this 299 page book, published by the
National Academy Press in 2001. Free to the general public.
Contact, First Response :Ensuring Physician Readiness For
Biological, Radiation, and Chemical Terrorism
- Describes the initial plan of the AAMC to promote
preparation and teaching for responding to terrorism in
for Industry : Recommendations for Assessment of Donor
Suitability and Blood and Blood Product Safety in Cases of
Possible Exposure to Anthrax
- Final Guideline published by the FDA in October 2001
Potassium Iodide as a Thyroid Blocking Agent in Radiation
- Issued by the FDA, Nov 2001. Provides "guidance
regarding the safe and effective use of potassium iodide
(KI) as an adjunct to other public health protective
measures in the event that radioactive iodine is released
into the environment."
- Guide for
All-Hazard Emergency Operations Planning: State and Local
Guide (101). Chapter 6, Attachment G --Terrorism
- Microsoft Word and PDF versions of this 62 page planning
document for state and local governments are included.
- HEICS III
: Hospital Emergency Incident Command System Update
- Description of the system with links to download the
complete documentation in PDF or Word format. Provided by
the California Emergency Medical Services Authority.
- An excellent presentation included enhanced and notated
radiologic images and pathology slides of anthrax cases,
clearly showing the diagnostic criteria. Produced by the
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Department of
Radiologic Pathology, October 2001 with updates.
- JAMA :
- Full text available to the general public as well as
University of Pittsburgh/UPMC Health System. Includes
multiple articles from various issues of JAMA, updated on a
Security and Emergency Response for Microbiological and
- Appendix F from Biosafety in Microbiological and
Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 4th Edition (1999)
- Managing Hazardous
- pdf documents of the full text of this 3 volume
reference work from the Agency for Toxic Substances and
Disease Registery. The volumes are:
- Emergency Medical Services: A Planning Guide for the
Management of Contaminated Patients
- Hospital Emergency Departments: A Planning Guide for
the Management of Contaminated Patients
- Medical Management Guidelines (MMGs) for Acute
Aspects of Biological Terrorism
- An overview of the major biological warfare agents,
recognizing symptoms and responding from the American
College of Physicians and the American Society of Internal
Medicine. Includes links to other sites, recommended expert
Management of Biological Casualties Handbook, 4th Ed.,
- a quick reference and overview of the subject presented
in Word, PDF, and Palm OS formats. Prepared by the U.S. Army
Medical Reseach Institute of Infectious Diseases
Management of Chemical Casualties, 3rd ed.
- Third Edition, August 1999 Published by the United
States Army, Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense,
Chemical Casualty Care Division. Last revision date 1999.
Management of Radiological Casualties
- Published in December 1999 by the Armed Forces
Radiobiology Research Institute, Information Services
Division, this handbook is presented in pdf format.
Treatment and Response to Suspected Smallpox: Information
for Health Care Providers During Biologic Emergencies
- created by the New York City Department of Health, July
Health and Mass Violence : Evidence-Based Early
Psychological Intervention for Victims/Survivors of Mass
Violence. A Workshop to Reach Concensus on Best
- This NIMH report reviews evidence of the efficacy of
psychological interventions delivered within four weeks of
an event. Produced from an October 30- November 1 2001
conference of mental health experts from six countries.
and Visualisation Support for Management of Medical
Resources in Mass-Casualty Incidents.
- A 15 page technical report from 1999 describing a system
for medical resource management using time-stamped
checkpoints of casualties. Full text online from NTIS
- Nature : Focus
- Full text available to the general public as well as
University of Pittsburgh/UPMC Health System. Includes
multiple articles from various Nature publications, updated
on a prepublication basis.
- New England Journal of
- Offers full text of articles related to anthrax and
other potential bioterrorism agents.
Ideas in the War on Terrorism
- article from the October 9 2001 New York Times on
medical interventions for bioterrorism organisms that are in
Case 5: Bioterrorism--Community Preparedness, 2002
- Describes how to locate health services research
literature to use as a tool in community planning for
bioterrorism response. Includes specific search strategies
for numerous National Library of Medicine databases.
Technical Manual : Chemical Protective Clothing
- Section VIII: Chapter 1 from the manual describes
characteristics of the clothing, as well as use, care,
decontamination and training.
Neuropathy Associated with Fluoroquinolones
- Prepublication release of an article on adverse effects
associated with fluoroquinolones, including cipro. Will be
published in print in The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 7(5),
on the Department of Defense Global Emerging Infections
Surveillance and Response System: A Program Review
- Full text of this 216 page report from the National
Academies Institute of Medicine is available online.
- Online class notes from a virology class offered at the
Univeristy of Leichester.
for Reality: Protecting Against Weapons of Mass
- Hearing before the Senate Committee on Governmental
Affairs, Friday, June 28, 2002. Witnesses provided testimony
on the role of science and technology in responding to
Health Systems and Emerging Infections: Assessing the
Capabilities of the Public and Private Sectors: Workshop
- Full text of this 128 page summary published in 2000 by
the National Academy Press is available online.
and management of bioterrorism infections
- American Family Physician. 67(9):1927-34, 2003 May 1.
Full text article freely available.
of Acute Human-Toxicity Estimates for Selected
Chemical-Warfare Agents (1997)
- Published by the National Academies, Committee on
Toxicology, National Research Council, the full text of this
100 page report is available online.
- Review of
the U.S. Army's Health Risk Assessments for Oral Exposure to
Six Chemical-Warfare Agents (1999)
- Published by the National Academy Press, full text of
this 320 page book is free online.
Clara County Bioterrorism Preparedness Effort
- Links to the recommendations for bioterrorism detection,
and diagnosis and treatment of individual diseases.
Vaccination and Adverse Events Training Module
- CDC website containing instructions for administering
the vaccine, along with photos demonstrating possible
reactions to vaccination and treatment instructions.
Your Resilience in the Wake of Terrorism: Pointers for
- Tips for psychologists provided by the American
of Military Medicine Part I : Medical Aspects of Chemical
and Biological Warfare
- Full text of this section in HTML format. Published in
1997 by the Office of The Surgeon General, Department of the
Army, United States of America
for Evaluating the Metropolitan Medical Response System
Program: Phase I Report (2001)
- Full text report published by the National Academy Press
on evaluating the US Department of Health and Human Services
Metropolitan Medical Response System
Manual for Mental Health and Human Service Workers in Major
- Published full text on the web by The Center for Mental
Health Services, 1999 publication date.
- Compilation of New York Times articles covering multiple
subjects related to implementing a smallpox vaccination
program in the United States.
3rd edition, Chapter 6 : Smallpox and Vaccinia,
- Access to the full text of this chapter written by
Donald A. Henderson and Bernard Moss is provided by
Associations, and Agencies|
P. Sloan Foundation : Bioterrorism
- Describes the initiatives funded by the Foundation to
combat and defend against bioterrorism
Hospital Association : Disaster Readiness
- includes links to source documents for hospitals on
organization, planning, and clinical aspects of disaster
readiness for hospitals and health systems. Some resources
for the general public are also included.
Society for Microbiology : Resources Related to Biological
Weapons Control and Bioterrorism Preparedness
- Many in depth resources on biological agents, including
detection and treatment, legislation and regulation,
laboratory safety, preparedness, and basic biological
- CDC: Public Health Emergency
Preparedness & Response
- documents from the CDC concerning possible bioterrorism
agents and public health monitoring and plans of action to
minimize their impact
- Center for Infectious
Disease Research & Policy
- Original information and links to selected news, full
text resources and abstracts online created by the
University of Minnesota Academic Health Center.
For Mental Health Services : Emergency Services and Disaster
- This US government agency runs the Crisis Counseling
Program, designed to provide all individuals who live or
work in a disaster area with mental health services, and
training for service providers through individual states.
- Council on Private Sector
Initiatives (CPSI) to Improve the Security, Safety, and
Quality of Health Care
- The council brings together multiple Department of Human
Services and defense-realed government agencies to serve as
a central place for private companies to submit ideas on
products related to bioterrorism defense.
- Department of Health
and Human Services, Office of Emergency Preparedness
- Information about and from the OEP, which has DHHS
responsibility for managing and coordinating Federal health,
medical, and health related social services and recovery to
major emergencies and Federally declared disasters,
including terrorist attacks
- Disaster Psychiatry
- A volunteer organization of psychiatrists formed to
provide treatment, research, and educational program
development on psychiatric services needed in disasters.
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Environmental Protection Agency homepage. Provides
terrorism related information:
- EPA Response
to September 11, includes monitoring data on air
quality around the World Trade Center site
includes links to workplace safety procedures and
and Drug Administration (FDA): Bioterrorism
- Links to FDA resources related to bioterrorism on topics
such as drugs and vaccines, devices, food safety, and
toxicology, and fraudulent treatments sold to the public.
- International Society for
Traumatic Stress Studies
- Publications, Links and Resources, and a special
compilation of resources for 9/11/2001.
- Johns Hopkins
University, Center for Civilian Biodefense Strategies
- Presents resources of the Center for the general public
and for health professionals.
- National Association of City
and County Health Officials
- Includes links to the Association's bioterrorism
resources and resources from other organizations.
Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID): New
Bioterrorism-Related Research Funding Opportunities
- The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease
leads NIH bioterrorism research efforts in four broad areas;
basic research, diagnostics, vaccines and drug development.
- Links to numerous full-text US government documents from
the US Army and other government agencies on medical aspects
- Organization for the
Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- provided by the Secretariat of the Organisation for the
Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, a Secretariat set up to
undertake the implementation on the international level of
the provisions of the CWC.
Department of Justice : Office for Domestic Preparedness
- The Office for Domestic Preparedness (ODP) (formerly The
Office for State & Local Domestic Preparedness) is the
program office within the Department of Justice (DOJ)
responsible for enhancing the capacity of state and local
jurisdictions to respond to, and mitigate the consequences
of, incidents of domestic terrorism. Training, technical
assistants, grants, state-based needs assessment, and
information resources are offered.
- WHO :
Health Aspects of Biological & Chemical Weapons
- Guidelines and information resources from the World
Health Organization, including:
Psychological Association : Help with Trauma
- Resources from the APA and other organizations for
children, adults, and disaster workers.
- Interactive module with sound and pictures on the basics
of anthrax and how to best respond to potential exposure.
Offered as part of MEDLINEplus.
- MSNBC page with news and health information, primarily
on anthrax, but also smallpox and other related topics
NOAH About: Dealing with Traumatic Events
- A large collection of links for the general public
collected by a consortium of New York libraries and other
- "produced by the National Crime Prevention Council with
support from the Department of Justice, provides current
crime and disaster preparedness techniques as well as the
latest information on terrorism, to give Americans guidance
on how to prepare in our homes, in our neighborhoods, at
work, at the airport, in places of worship, and in public
Alert: Offers to Treat Biological Threats: What You Need to
- Information from the Federal Trade Commission on the
dangers of buying treatments for bioterrorism agents offered
on the Internet an by email.
with a National Tragedy
- Resources from the American Psychiatric Association for
consumers and professionals.
With a National Tragedy
- Resources for parents, school personnel, children and
teens compiled by the National Association of School
- A collection of fact sheets covering children, teens,
and adults with tips on recognizing and coping with mental
health aspects of disasters.
- Fact sheets from the American Academy of Child and
Adolescent Psychiatry summarizing what psychological
responses parents should expect and ways to respond.
Sheet : Terrorism
- Precautions to take at work, home or while traveling.
Readiness Kit : Preparing to Handle Disasters
- Planning information for a variety of disasters,
including terrorism and natural disasters for both physical
safety and coping strategies from the American Academy of
Pediatrics. Available full text only online, no print
- FTC Cracks
down on Marketers of Bogus Bioterrorism Defense Products
- Press release from the Federal Trade Commission on
efforts to remove uproven or unsafe products advertised as
bioterrorism defense products or medications from the
- Hampton Roads
Metropolitan Medical Response System
- Site describes the MMRS as set up in Hampton Roads.
Includes a good 14 min. Real Player video on the formation
and purpose of the MMRS.
- Compiled Internet resources in English and Spanish
including news, general overviews, disease descriptions and
Biodefense and Bioterrorism
- Links to news, general overviews, information of
specific conditions, and organizations.
handbook for coping after terrorism : a guide to healing and
- 11 page booklet with practical suggestions for coping
with the psychological aftermath of terrorism.
- Resources from the National Institute of Mental Health
in English and in Spanish
- Preparing for the Unexpected
- Information on preparing for and responding to terrorist
incidents from the American Red Cross. In English and
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
- McGraw Hill is making the full text of this e-book
available free online. Requires Adobe Acrobat ebook Reader
or MS Reader to use.
- Center for Continuing
Education in the Health Sciences : Anthrax Management
- Video, audio and slide presentation of a presentation by
Dr. Michael Allswede, Dept of Emergency Med, University of
Pittsburgh given in Oct 2001. 43 minutes long, requires
RealMedia Player to view the file.
Communication: Responding to the Communication Challenges
Posed by Bioterrorism
- Presentation originally given March 6, 2002 by Vincent
T. Covello, PhD, Director of the Center for Risk
Communication, sponsored by the Association of State and
Territorial Health Officials. Available in format for Real
and Windows Media Players.
Clinical Center Grand Rounds: Bioterrorism
- National Institutes of Health talk featuring Dr. Anthony
S. Fauci and Dr. Steven Hyman discussing health and mental
health issues of bioterrorism. Real Player needed to use the
file. 1 hour, 15 minutes, video, slides, audio and captions.
- UNC School of
Public Health : Webcasts
- RealMedia archived presentations of the following
- CDC Responds: Treatment Options for Postal and Other
Workers Exposed to Anthrax UPDATE, December 27, 2001
- CDC Responds: Treatment Options for Postal and Other
Workers Exposed to Anthrax, December 21, 2001
- CDC Responds: Update on Options for Preventive
Treatment for Persons at Risk for Inhalational Anthrax,
Dec 21, 2001
- CDC Responds: Smallpox: What Every Clinician Should
Know, Dec. 13th, 2001
- Talking About Scary Stuff: Health Communication in
Crisis, Dec. 13th, 2001
- Dean's Seminar Series: Vulnerability of Water Supply
Systems to Terrorism, December 6, 2001
- CDC Responds: Risk Communication and Bioterrorism,
Dec. 6th, 2001
- CDC Responds: Clinical Diagnosis and Management of
Anthrax - Lessons Learned, Nov. 29, 2001
- Dean's Seminar Series: Tales From The Front Lines: How
Prepared Is Public Health For Terrorism? November 19, 2001
- CDC Responds: Bioterrorism and the Healthcare
Epidemiology / Infection Control Team, Nov. 16, 2001
- CDC Responds: Coping with Bioterrorism - The Role of
the Laboratorian, Nov. 9, 2001
- Dean's Seminar Series: Communication in Crisis:
Managing Health Security - Nov 5, 2001
- CDC Responds: Anthrax: What every clinician should
know Part II, CDC, Nov. 1, 2001
- CDC Responds: CDC Addresses the Infectious Disease
Society of America: Anthrax, Oct 28, 2001
- Covering Bioterrorism: A Special Seminar for NC
Journalists, Oct 24, 2001
- Anthrax: What every clinician should know, CDC, Oct.
- Recognition and Management of Bioterrorism Agents, Dr.
David J. Weber, Friday, Oct. 5, 2001
- Bioterrorism: Implications for Public Health, Public
Health Grand Rounds, June 11, 1999
- Disasters, People and Public Health: Are You Ready?,
Public Health Grand Rounds, January 28,
NFA (National Fire Academy) Course Catalog
- Complete catalog of courses offered on campus, as
distance education, and as self study courses including such
topics as Incident Command System for Emergency Medical
Services and Emergency Response to Terrorism.
- Biological &
Chemical Warfare and Terrorism : Medical Issues and
- Originally broadcast from the US Army Medical Command
November 28, 29, & 30, 2001, this site provides access
to archived RealMedia and Quicktime presentations, and
- List of professional training resources on the web
compiled by the St. Louis University School of Public
Health, Center for the Study of Bioterrorism & Emerging
Response to Terrorism: Self-Study
- For fire, emergency medical, hazmat, incident command
and law enforcement responders. Available in PDF format.
- National Disaster Medical
System (NDMS) Response Team Training Program
- This training program presents information about the
National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) functions and
responsibilities, and proven medical techniques to all
levels of personnel who work in the field of disaster
response management. Self-paced, online instruction is
& Ohio Public Health Training Center : Bioterrorism
Training Support Page
- Access to web-based training provided by the AMA, CDC,
Johns Hopkins, USAMRIID, and other agencies from one page.
Free registration recommended but not required.
- PHTN :
Public Health Training Network
- "PHTN uses a variety of instructional media ranging from
print-based to videotape and multimedia to meet the training
needs of the public health workforce nationwide," including
anthrax and bioterrorism subjects.
- Rare Infections and
Potential Bioterrorist Agents
- Online CE modules for physicians, nurses with case
scenarios illustrated with photos. Produced by the
University of Alabama.
of Clinicians for Public Health Events Relevant to
- Report funded by AHRQ reviewing the available literature
on training clinicians to rapidly recognized rare infections
and identify potential bioterrorist activity. Produced by
the Johns Hopkins University Evidence-based Practice Center